Mito What?

Many people ask this question every time I tell them we are planning a 5K to benefit children and families effected by Mitochondrial Disease. Well without getting to technical on you, mitochondria are responsible for providing more than 90% of the energy needed by the body to sustain life and support growth. When they fail less and less energy is generated within the cell. Cell injury and even cell death follow. If this process is repeated throughout the body, whole systems begin to fail and the life of the person in whom this is happening is severly compromised. Diseases of the mitochondria appear to cause the most damage to cells of the brain, heart, liver, skeletal muscles, kidney and the endocrine and respiratory systems. Every 30 minutes a child is born who will develop a mitochondrial disease by the age of 10. There is currently no cure for Mitochondrial Diseases.

So why a 5k...well let me introduce you to my little friend Jackson. Jackson was diagnosed with Leigh's disease, a mitochondrial disease, at 7 months old. Jackson is wheelchair bound and fed by a G-Tube. He has the sweetest smile you will ever see and has a family who loves him more than he will ever know. I can't imagine a child with a disease this dibilitating, and had I never met Jackson and his family I would have never been aware there was such a disease. I am thankful that I have energy to do the things I enjoy in life and one of those things is running, so why not run for a cause, better yet why not run for a cure! Please come join us in our 1st Annual Jackson Culley Mito-What 5K - to benefit the UMDF and it's families.